Geneious Software Guide
Ceres has a Geneious Server setup. This server is also providing 20 floating licenses for Ceres users use.
- The floating license server will only work at USDA sites or via VPN due to firewall restrictions.
- Geneious and its license server should work through both the regular USDA VPN and the SCINet ocvpn vpn servers.
- If you do encounter license server issues let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Install and start Geneious
First download the Geneious client from https://www.geneious.com/download/
Install it as usual and start it up.
Geneious will complain about not having a license. Click “Activate a License”
On the “Enter Your License Details” screen,
- select “Use floating license server”,
geneious.scinet.usda.govin the “License Server” box, and
27001in the “Port” box.
After Geneious is started (see picture below):
- Click on “Geneious Server” in the list of Sources on the left
- If you dont see “Geneious Server” in the list of “Sources” you may need to download the “Geneious Server Plugin” from the Geneious Downloads Page
- Download the plugin then click on the file and it should install itself.
- It should also be noted that the Geneious Server plugin version must match the version of the Geneious Server itsself. If in doubt update everything to current.
- Geneious will need to be restarted after installing new plugins.
- You will see a message on the right “you are not currently logged in to Geneious Server”. Select the “Log in” button.
- On the “Login to Geneious Server” popup screen:
- Enter Host name: “geneious.scinet.usda.gov”
- Click the “Use SSL” box. You can leave the port empty, it should fill in 443 on its own.
- Enter your Ceres username in the “User Name” box, usually firstname.lastname
- Enter your Ceres password immediately followed by your Ceres GA code in the “Password” box as an example if your password was “MyP@55w0rd” and GA app is showing “123456” you would use MyP@55w0rd123456
- Click “OK”
You should now be connected to the Geneious Server.