- Account Request:
To obtain a SCINet account, a SCINet Account Request must be submitted. The approval process depends on the affiliation of the requester.
- Terms and Conditions:
All SCINet Users must agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Password Expiration:
SCINet passwords do not expire.
- Multi-factor authentication (MFA)
SCINet users are required to use second factor when authenticating to SCINet resources.
- Security Awareness Training:
Each Non-USDA SCINet account user will atttest to taking Annual Security Awareness Training.
- Account Deactivation:
SCINet accounts are subject to deactivation. Collaborator (Non-ARS) accounts expire.
- Re-establishing account:
SCINet users whose account has been deactivated for any reason will need to submit a new account request.
- Home Directories:
Home directory quota on all HPC clusters is automatically granted to all SCINet user accounts. You have space by default as a user, but you can request Project Allocation.
- Project Allocation Request: A SCINet Project Allocation Request form must be submitted by the project’s Principal Investigator (PI).
- Job queue policies are described in the User Guide for each of the clusters.
Queue policies are subject to periodic change.
- SCINet is a community resource.
Thus, all SCINet users have a responsibility to the other users on the system. There are restrictions on what software you can install.
- Users are responsible for securing their data.
Certain public datasets are made available to all SCINet users.
Data Retention: Upon SCINet account deactivation (see Accounts section), the following data retention policies go into effect for files owned by the deactivated SCINet user:
- Home directory: supervisor (non-ARS: ARS sponsor) will be given access by the VRSC and required to take action within 90 days to preserve any files
- Project directories:
- If there are no other active users on the project, the supervisor will be required to take action within 90 days
- If there are active users on the project, and the deactivated user was the project PI (requestor), then the supervisor must select another PI
- If there are active users on the project, and the deactivated user was not the project PI, then no further action need be taken