Expanding SCINet for the Future of Science
Overview of the SCINet-X Project
The ARS SCINet Team developed a SCINet network solution that provides two levels of high-bandwidth services to meet the different needs of research locations. These solutions will accelerate the expansion of high-bandwidth SCINet connectivity to all ARS locations as fast as possible while balancing economic, technological, and local constraints. The SCINet-X project involves the SCINet Team working with each individual location in ARS to directly connect the location to SCINet.
The following locations are actively working on establishing high-bandwidth SCINet connectivity.
|Parlier, WA||Salinas, CA||Wenatchee, WA||Bushland, TX|
|College Station, TX||Fort Keogh, MT||Las Cruces, NM||Lincoln, NE|
|Mandan, ND||Peoria, IL||Urbana, IL||West Lafayette, IN|
|Griffin, GA||El Reno, OK||Burlington, VT||Orono, ME|
|Newark, DE||Geneva, NY||Auburn, AL||Baton Rouge, LA|
|Booneville, AR||Byron, GA||Canal Point, FL||Dawson, GA|
|Fayetteville, AR||Fort Lauderdale, FL||Gainesville, FL||Houma, LA|
|Jonesboro, AR||Little Rock , AR||Miami, FL||Oxford, MS|
|Poplarville, AR||Raleigh, NC||Schriever, LA|
The following locations have completed implementation of their high-bandwidth SCINet connectivity.
Pacific West Area
|Burns, OR||Hilo, HI||Logan, UT||Maricopa, AZ|
|Akron, CO||Fargo, ND||Grand Forks, ND|
|Kerrville, TX||Lubbock, TX||Manhattan, KS|
|Columbia, MO||Madison, WI||St. Paul, MN|
|Boston, MA||Kearneysville, WV||Leetown, WV|
|Athens, GA||Auburn, AL||Charleston, SC|
|Florence, SC||Griffin, GA||New Orleans, LA|
|Starkville, MS||Tifton, GA|
Partner Agency - Forest Service
We are eager to work with the remaining ARS locations to ensure they are ready when network equipment is available for installation. Please see the steps (milestones) below to be followed in getting a location on our list. The SCINet Team is available to answer questions at any step along the way.
Key Milestones for Achieving a high-bandwidth SCINet Connection
- Location team identifies local network provider, which often involves an agreement with a university or working with a local internet provider
- Location team completes online location survey. This form is only accessible to those who have a USDA email account.
- Location team works with SCINet team to finalize installation details
- Location team finalizes network connection and agreement with university or local internet provider
- Location team initiates network service and SCINet installs network hardware
- SCINet team establishes location’s SCINet-X connection and begins operational support and monitoring
For more information about the project or questions for the SCINet Team, please send an email to: SCINet@usda.gov.